Miyerkules, Marso 6, 2013

GOOD REASONS TO STAY



Sir Winston Churchill once said “A Pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; and optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”This quotation caught my interest when I was starting to write this article. Sometimes when things don’t go the way we wanted it, the usual thing that we resort to is quitting. After you have detached yourself, you remorse on the opportunity you have just wasted and soon you realize how hard you worked for it and now you feel sorry for not grabbing the chance. We have to bear in mind that not every door of opportunities and window of chances will always be easy to grab, because there are times that they closes in an instant without you realizing it is already over. On the other hand, maybe you are not qualified for the requirements, for the simple reason that some chances knock only once and when you’ve let it pass, it is gone for a lifetime. So, if the chance is offered, why don’t you give it a try? For instance, institutions and schools that are free from charges do not mushroom just about everywhere. People would reckon that nowadays, education has been a privilege and not a right, education and the quality once are unbearably expensive. Scholars, who are given the chance to study for free, are lucky indeed. However, there are still schools despite providing scholarship for needy students would still ask for some payments and fees of little amount in order to compromise the education of scholars. But there are schools that would take it literally, FREE TUITION FEE, and not ask for a single cent from the students. This is Dr. Jose Rizal’s dream; to give the Filipino youth free quality education. Nevertheless, a clearer example would be that of La Verdad Christian College, which Bro. Eli Soriano and Kuya DanielRazon came up with, a full-scholarship program. La Verdad Christian College is now continuously operated in Apalit, Pampanga and Caloocan City. Hundreds of applicants were applying to be one of the fortunate scholars who will benefit from the perks and services of the scholarship program.
            I was very fortunate when my name is included in the list of the upcoming students for academic year 2012-2013. Way back I was working as a volunteer in a documentary program in a local TV station, studying is really out of my priority. Although I am not that kind of person who is a going-to-school-for-nothing-to-ponder-upon type of student, but I think that I am fine and can work without a tertiary degree. I was wrong, as we encounter different people and interact with them, college as I now realize is very important then. To give a background, I already applied before in La Verdad Christian College (supposedly I am on my second year) but when I found out I passed the exams and requirements, I refuse to leave my work. Again, second chance was given to me for I was able to take another slot as a scholar. Surprised and happy how I felt when I first received the message from the registrar’s office. From my first semester and now that I am in the nearing end of classes, I learned a lot in my studies. I had adjustments because I was out of school for nearly three years, so I almost forgot the curriculum in a class. Academic is not only the main objective of the institution, rather it taught us values and morals that we can use even after we graduate. My 7 months in La Verdad seems very fast but at the same time it feels like I stayed for so long, because of the good teachings I kept in my heart.
            When I am alone and I try to assess things, there are times I felt that I am not that deserving but still I have to study hard. I know that my financial crisis is one of the key factors why I was accepted as a scholar. In addition, my one instructor said that the aim of La Verdad is to give chances to students who are unable to pay for tuitions but is willing and committed to study. That is the principle of the Chairman Emeritus, Bro. Eli and Vice Chairman, Kuya Daniel to help those in need without taking anything in return. I believed that we, as students have our different purposes when we had the chance to study and these chances must not be taken for granted or wasted. I feel that I was not just a learner but a teacher as well. We have to extend our hands for our classmates or schoolmates who are in need. At the end of the day I ask myself, did I just act as a student or have I lend any help from others. Sometimes I feel that this is a burden to worry yourself for the sake of others but there is happiness inside me that in a little way I assist them I see them striving to continue and finish their tasks. Thank God for this opportunity to help others and be helped by others as well, Thank God for the founders of the school who help students to be productive and in the most genuine manner had uplift the true meaning of scholarship in the academe.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento